Please note: Fulton County Residents must bring the following items directly to the Department of Solid Waste, 847 Mud Road, Johnstown:

All Refrigerators and freezers (doors removed) - $5 per unit

Air conditioners, water coolers, dehumidifiers or other Freon containing unit - $5 per unit

All Tires (off rims) - fee varies per tire size and quantity see Landfill Rates pdf

Fluorescent light bulbs

20-lb propane tanks

Mercury containing thermostats

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection every other year (odd numbered years)

Do I need a Permit? How Do I Get One?

YES – to dispose of garbage, recycling or bulk metal, residents need to purchase a permit from their municipal clerk. Permit costs vary. There is no fee for disposal.

Residents must show proof of residency/ownership for the property to obtain the permit.

Permit Stickers must be affixed to the vehicle registered with the municipality.

Landlords/ small business owners must apply for a Commercial Permit, transfer station use is not allowed.

Can I use a Trailer?

YES – 5’ x 8’ is the MAXIMUM size for trailers using the residential transfer stations.

DUMP Trucks/trailers are NOT allowed.

How can Residents dispose of trash from a home repair construction project?

Depending on the amount of debris, Residents are encouraged to hire a private hauler (who will often leave a dumpster onsite) or purchase a transfer station permit and haul it themselves. Contractors are not allowed to use the transfer station.

If resident hauling themselves, there is a five load/per project limit (three load limit in Northampton).

Some municipalities also hold drop off events in the spring or fall for large items.

Where is My Transfer Station?

Broadalbin Town and Village Residents

Caroga Town Residents

Bleecker Town, Mayfield Village and Town, and Johnstown Town Residents

Ephratah Town Residents

Gloversville, Johnstown City and Town Residents

Northville and Northampton Residents

Oppenheim Town Residents

Stratford Town Residents

All others contact Fulton County Dept. of Solid Waste at 518-736-5501

Have another question?

For Questions, call:

The Fulton County Department of Solid Waste
(518) 736-5504